Re: A lot of pending packages

Lorenzo De Liso <blackzldl@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, what Sune said is right. But if it's supposed to be so then new
> uploads will be processed slowly or never.

It may be worth noting here that the repository on mentors.d.o is not
intended to serve as an upload queue that someone will process.  Rather,
it's intended to provide a place where people can put packages to make it
easy for others to look at them, and which can help with performing some
consistency checks and verifications.

In other words, I wouldn't expect anyone to take action based on the
presence of a package on mentors.d.o with no other communication.  It's
more like free hosting for a source package while you look for someone to
sponsor it, which makes it easier for the sponsor to look at the package.

A lot of Debian Developers (myself included) do essentially no upload
sponsoring except as part of packaging teams.  Of course if there's a
specific package, unrelated to other work in Debian, that you're trying to
get into the archive, that doesn't help, but if the goal is to show
involvement in Debian and to help the distribution, I would recommend
joining a packaging team over just packaging new software.  I think
there's general consensus that the largest quality issues in Debian are
lack of attention and resources for maintaining the packages that we have
now, not the difficulty in getting brand new packages included (although
of course both are important in the long run).