Re: A lot of pending packages

On 2010-06-09, Lorenzo De Liso <blackzldl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a simple debian contributor: I'm trying to get my work in debian
> through a sponsor [1] [2]. The problem is that I'm waiting for a sponsor
> since 7 days+ (and not only me, in mentors.debian.net there are 20+
> pending packages) [3]. Why are they in pending status and nobody wants
> to upload them? I know, we all are busy with the real life things, but a

When I'm sponsoring packages, which happens from time to time, it is
normally packages that I somehow have a interest in.
I think that many other sponsors feel it the same way.

For example, my interests is mostly around KDE, and I really try to
avoid python stuff. That kind of rules your two packages out for me.

I browsed quickly thru those 20+ packages,  and a lot of them hasn't
been presented on debian-mentors. If they are just uploaded to mentors.dn
and then left silent, then no one with notice.
I have also seen discussions in other forums about some of the specific
packages not presented on this list, so some people also just use
mentors.dn to share the work with their 'normal' sponsors, and do the
discussions outside this list, so that's also not a good metric.

A recommended strategy is to package some apps that are interesting
enough to get some DDs to work with you, and then you can also most
likely get them to look at other of your stuff.

And another often recommended strategy is to help with existing
packages, rather than introducing new.

/Sune