Re: RFS: xpdf (updated package)

Hi again, Charles.

On Jun 04 2010, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 02:47:27PM -0300, Rogério Brito a écrit :
> > Just as a quick question, if you use xpdf with the poppler backend,
> > do you have poppler-data installed? It contains the character
> > mappings established by adobe for fonts...
>
> Thanks, Rogério for the helpful answer.

You're welcome, as always. (And it is nice to receive some of your
e-mails once in a while).

> I was very surprised that installation of poppler-data solved my
> problem for evince but not for xpdf,

Great that this worked. I suspected that it would be the case.

> but after reading Michael's answers, it looks that there is an
> explanation. I recommand to solve this before uploading xpdf to main.

I am trying to work with Michael, but it seems that my mails to him are
not getting through. :-) (Michael, let us join forces in this, pal).

A very simplified version of the facts is this: CJK fonts need way more
than the 256 different characters. Therefore, for backwards
compatibility, we have to jump through many hoops to map to make things
work. Part of that job is to map CID fonts to Unicode characters, use
CMaps etc.

To cut a long story short, you can install the xpdf-japanese package,
or, since you already have poppler-data installed, you can simply add
these lines to your .xpdf and see if things work:

,----[ .xpdfrc ]
| cidToUnicode	Adobe-Japan1	/usr/share/poppler/cidToUnicode/Adobe-Japan1
| toUnicodeDir			/usr/share/poppler/cMap/Adobe-Japan1/
| toUnicodeDir			/usr/share/poppler/cMap/Adobe-Japan2/
| cMapDir	Adobe-Japan1	/usr/share/poppler/cMap/Adobe-Japan1/
| cMapDir	Adobe-Japan2	/usr/share/poppler/cMap/Adobe-Japan2/
`----

Please let me know if things work with that, as I am integrating support
to rich documents on the xpdf tree that I am starting to maintain.  Some
extra lines may be needed, depending on how you have things installed.

> By the way, I really think that poppler-data shoud be installed by
> default on computers configured for office work. We can not expect
> users to figure out that they need this package to see CJK characters.

Sure, I have been bitten by this problem many times in the past and I
did not know that there were some nasty patents in this.

> I reported #584503 against poppler to propose to have libpoppler
> recommend poppler-data.

Yes, even though poppler-data was non-free, it is now in main and I
don't know why it hasn't been added to recommends already.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de