Re: migration to testing

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 01:21:29PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Mike Hommey]
> > There is a general problem with fuse, actually. fuse-utils is needed by
> > any program using libfuse and allowing users (i.e not root) to mount a
> > filesystem: In this case, libfuse uses fusemount to do the mount, since
> > mount(2) is unfortunately a CAP_SYS_ADMIN syscall, and fusemount is
> > suid root, allowing the fs to be mounted.
>
> If there are particular entry points into libfuse that cause it to
> require fuse-utils, it seems to me you could express the dependency
> conditionally via the .symbols file.  Not that I've ever tried it, but
> deb-symbols(5) indicates that this sort of flexibility is possible.

Unfortunately, there is no symbol that could be used for this.
fuse_mount() ends up first trying mount(2) and if that fails because
of permissions, it then tries running fusemount. And most fuse
filesystems don't even call fuse_mount directly, and rely on some other
helper in the library to just do it for them.

Now, looking at the code, it appears the bsd version doesn't even try to
use mount(2), which means that in any case, all filesystems do need
fusebsd on bsd systems. libfuse should really depend on it on bsd
systems if that's not already the case.

Mike