Re: original package changelogs

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> There's an open Policy bug about this, which is where it should probably
>> be discussed.  When packaging other people's software, I install the
>> upstream ChangeLog as changelog.gz and NEWS as NEWS.gz.

> For some packages where upstream ignores the NEWS vs ChangeLog thing
> I've taken to renaming their ChangeLog or CHANGES.TXT or whatever to a
> NEWS file and shipping under the name NEWS.

I try to find something to install as changelog.gz since that's the only
file path for upstream changes that's mentioned in Policy.  An interesting
modification of Policy may be to standardize the NEWS.gz name, define the
difference, and suggest that only detailed changelogs be installed as
changelog.gz.