Re: A few questions after my first upload (sponsored)

Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:22:19 +0100
> Iustin Pop <iusty@k1024.org> wrote:
>
> > When building/uploading packages for unstable, you *must* use an
> > unstable environment (including lintian). If you're running testing
> > on your machine, then the build/verification should be done in an
> > unstable chroot.
>
> I assume when you say 'unstable environment' you don't exclude the
> possibility of using a backported lintian on (say) stable.

You should feel free to do that, but it's not sufficient for a package
that is intended to be uploaded to Debian. For such a package, you must
build and test using the latest packages from Debian ‘unstable’ suite
(== ‘sid’), and nothing else suffices.

Tools such as ‘pbuilder’ allow you to meet this requirement using a
‘chroot(8)’ environment, so long as you still meet the “latest available
packages” criterion by keeping it up to date.

--
 \            “The whole area of [treating source code as intellectual |
  `\    property] is almost assuring a customer that you are not going |