dh_installinit: what to do if upstream provides a initscript?

Dear mentors!

I have the following situation:

I have a "upstream"-package which provides an init.d-script.

dh_installinit(1) states:
,----
| If a file named debian/package.init exists, then it is installed into
| etc/init.d/package in the package build directory, with "package"
| replaced by the package name.
`----

So here the simple question (for which I could not find a simple
answer):

What to do if upstream already provides an init-script? Am I supposed
to copy the init-script into the debian directory or is there a better
solution to avoid double-handling the file?

Thanks for any help!

Regars,
 - Darsha