Re: RFS: robocut

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:46:23 -0500, Markus Schulz <schulz@alpharesearch.de> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "robocut".
>
> * Package name    : robocut
>   Version         : 1.0.4-1
>   Upstream Author : Tim Hutt <tdhutt@gmail.com>
> * URL             : https://launchpad.net/robocut
> * License         : GPL V3
>   Section         : graphics
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> robocut    - Control program for Graphtec cutting plotters

Hi Markus;

I'm not quite ready to upload a package I can't test. Also, I think this
package probably needs somebody comfortable with QT. Nonethless here are
some comments that may help move things forward.

Some things I checked, and looked good:

- It builds clean in a chroot
- uscan works ok now :)
- It is indeed lintian clean
- I ran piuparts, and got only familiar false positives.
- I looked at the copyright and license headers.
- It starts up and I managed to import an SVG file of unknown
  provenance.
- I verified that you closed the right bug in your changelog.
- there is no mysterious diffs in .debian.tar.gz
- md5 sums match for the .orig.tar.gz

Some things to think about:

- debian/copyright looked OK, although I'm not sure you need the header
  at the end. Isn't that covered by the packaging copyright statement?

- You ship quite a few generated source files. Please double check that
  these can be generated with the tools in Debian; a surefire way to do
  that is do to it at build time.

- images are a constant source of copyright issues; you might want to
  make some statement in debian/copyright that the files in images/
  are the source; i.e. they are not generated from some other files.

- If you have the packaging in version control somewhere, you should add
  Vcs-$system (e.g. Vcs-Git) and Vcs-Browse fields. If not, why not?

- I'm not a big fan of binaries that start with capital letters. That is
  just my personal opinion.

- I thought the homepage url was broken, but maybe it is supposed to say
  "Launchpad does not know where Robocut hosts its code.".
  In which case, since you are upstream, maybe you could fix that?

Thanks for your efforts for Debian.

David