Re: .changes files without source packages

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Le Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 10:40:13AM -0800, Daniel Lazzari a écrit :
>>
>> I have a collection of SDK packages we are building using dpkg -b that
>> we need to distribute to our external developers. Because some of the
>> libraries come from proprietary code, and others from assets, they
>> should only be binary packages, not source packages. When trying to
>> build a .changes file though, dpkg-genchanges -b always complains
>> about a missing Source field in my control file, even though I though
>> the -b option meant only binary packages.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to build a .changes file without having source
>> packages? I need the .changes file so I can upload the packages to
>> mini-dinstall.
>
> Dear Daniel,
>
> it is difficult to reproduce what you are doing given the lack of precise
> information. Are you building a binary package without a source package?
> Can you send us a step-by-step example ?
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> --
> Charles Plessy
> Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

Yes, I believe I am building binary packages without source. For
example, I may have a package that before packaging looks sort of
like:

/eme-assets
/eme-assets/DEBIAN
/eme-assets/DEBIAN/control
/eme-assets/DEBIAN/postinst
/eme-assets/DEBIANprerm
/eme-assets/opt
/eme-assets/opt/image.jpg
/eme-assets/opt/libmine.so

I package it up using "dpkg -b eme-assets eme-assets_2.0.1.8936_i386.deb"

This gives me a debian package I can install, but there is no .changes file.

Hope that provides a little better picture of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for your help on this!