Re: RFS: libvdpau (updated package)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:09:46 +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi Michael,

> > > Thank you very much for your enthusiasm for fixing bugs for the release!
> > > But for the future, could you please wait at least a day or so after
> > > filing an RC bug before requesting someone sponsor an NMU for it?  Usually
> > > the maintainers will want to at least look at the bug first.
> >
> > Why delay?  The debdiff is in the bug report, and an NMU will get
> > uploaded to DELAYED, so the maintainer has plenty of time to act; that
> > is if they are indeed going to act.  If not then the NMU goes through.
> > I don't see the problem.
> >

> I'm sure you are aware of [1]. The second item of "Before doing an NMU" states:
> "Did you give enough time to the maintainer?" Unless I got something wrong,
> there weren't more than a few hours between the bug report and the RFS. You'll
> surely understand that this wouldn't even allow people living in different time
> zones to _notice_ your bug report.

Michael,

Thanks for your feedback.  Does the "Did you give enough time to the
maintainer" question have as much relevance toward the end of the freeze
when timely RC bug fixes are paramount?  Also, I wonder if those NMU
guidelines are a bit antiquated nowadays since there is much broader
acceptance of NMUs by maintainers?  I can appreciate the "make sure you
don't break it" and "send the diff to the bug report" guidelines, but
is it really necessary to spend so much effort to contact the
maintainer (bullets 2, 4, and 5)?

Also, there is the "Upload fixing only release-critical and important
bugs: 5 days" guideline which already gives the maintainer plenty of
time to react.

Also, there is the "low threshold nmu list", which I had read some
discussion where there was a push to make all packages "low
threshold".  Not sure if that's gone anywhere though.

Mike