Re: RFS: libvdpau (updated package)

Hi again,

> > I'm sure you are aware of [1]. The second item of "Before doing an NMU" states:
> > "Did you give enough time to the maintainer?" Unless I got something wrong,
> > there weren't more than a few hours between the bug report and the RFS. You'll
> > surely understand that this wouldn't even allow people living in different time
> > zones to _notice_ your bug report.
> Michael,
> Thanks for your feedback.  Does the "Did you give enough time to the
> maintainer" question have as much relevance toward the end of the freeze
> when timely RC bug fixes are paramount?  Also, I wonder if those NMU
> guidelines are a bit antiquated nowadays since there is much broader
> acceptance of NMUs by maintainers?  I can appreciate the "make sure you
> don't break it" and "send the diff to the bug report" guidelines, but
> is it really necessary to spend so much effort to contact the
> maintainer (bullets 2, 4, and 5)?
> Also, there is the "Upload fixing only release-critical and important
> bugs: 5 days" guideline which already gives the maintainer plenty of
> time to react.
> Also, there is the "low threshold nmu list", which I had read some
> discussion where there was a push to make all packages "low
> threshold".  Not sure if that's gone anywhere though.

In my opinion, this case of yours has nothing whatsover got to do with NMUs, let
alone the freeze. Technically, your approach is probably covered by policy,
freeze, etc. But Debian is not a system of robots.

I think this case is rather a matter of being polite. The BTS records a response
from one of the maintainers within 2:37 hours. You could of course try to
contact one of the maintainers on IRC, but other than that there's little chance
you get a response in a project as global as Debian in less time.

Best regards,
Michael, who will go to bed and need more than 2:37 hours for another response :-)