Re: Uploading during freeze time

Firstly, this discussion is extremely off-topic on debian-mentors,
debian-project would have been a better choice.

2010/10/12 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:

> Now, experimental by default is pinned to lowest priority, and in the
> meantime, during the freeze, your friendly packager is still waiting
> on the testing package, so updates the experimental package. You may
> or may not notice, but because of the low pin priority you won't
> automatically upgrade the experimental package that is in effect being
> treated as an unstable package by the packager. So perhaps you go and
> you change the low pin priority, but you can't really do that easily
> because then apt will try to pull in all sorts of assorted crap from
> experimental that you really don't want and is genuinely experimental.
> Perhaps you're smart enough to deal with this problem automatically,
> perhaps you're not and you're stuck closely following the development
> of a package that you would be tracking automatically without the
> freeze.

I use pinning like this everywhere (with stable sometimes set lower
and backports in there sometimes). It ensures that if I manually
upgrade a package from stable to testing or unstable to experimental,
I will automatically get updates from the suite I upgraded to and when
the newer version migrates to a lower suite I stop getting updates
from the higher suite. I find this very useful on servers that need
packages from testing and on unstable machines where I want to test
release candidates or snapshots.

Package: *
Explanation: pabs was here
Pin: release a=stable