Uploading during freeze time

On 7 October 2010 14:06, Joachim Reichel <joachim.reichel@gmx.de> wrote:
> I guess what Christoph meant is the following: if you upload 1.45 to unstable
> you block this way for fixes to 1.44 in testing (and the RM will most probably
> not allow 1.45 to migrate to testing).
>
> You could upload 1.45 to experimental for now. This allows you to upload
> 1.44-2, -3, and so on which just fix RC bugs in 1.44-1, upload them to
> unstable and request a freeze exception.

I've never really understood why Debian works like this. I think
"experimental" should mean "too unstable for unstable" but during
freeze time it seems to mean "unstable-2, because otherwise I can't
fix packages in testing". In this particular case, we *know* that the
so-called "experimental" package is going to be even more stable than
the testing package, because it's had many more bugfixes tested by
upstream than tested by Debian. It seems silly to have to label it
"experimental".

Does it have to be this way? Why do fixes to testing have to go
through unstable, even during freeze time? Why does experimental
become the new unstable during freeze time?

- Jordi G. H.