Re: flow of things rules/debhelper (still confused)

jmroth+deb@iip.lu writes:

> Yeah but I was talking about a debian/rules like

> binary-indep:
> 	cmd1
> 	cmd2

> %:
> 	dh $@

> Here, you can be sure that binary-indep is ignored.

It's not if you explicitly do an architecture-independent build with
dpkg-buildpackage -A.  But if you do a regular build, then it invokes
debian/rules binary, and dh does not defer to binary-indep and binary-arch
targets in debian/rules.  dh binary does all the binary-indep and
binary-arch work internally.

In other words, it generally doesn't make any sense to override the
binary-indep or binary-arch target in debian/rules when using the wildcard
syntax with dh and not also override the binary target.

In general, I find mixing explicit target definitions and wildcard rules
really confusing.  I would recommend that you either use a wildcard rule
and overrides for anything you need to change, or you explicitly provide
all the targets and don't use a wildcard rule.  Doing a mix of the two is
just going to make everything extra confusing.