Re: "Breaks" or "Conflicts"?

Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> update-A-doc  (actually update-yorickdoc) uses A (=yorick). The point is
> that A is broken when both B(old) and C(new) are present. I could fix
> update-yorickdoc to detect breakage of yorick, not do anything and
> return successfully, but that is certainly wrong: if update-yorickdoc
> fails, it should report failure.

Now I got your point better. Well, Conflicts in this case will probably work
better in practice, but in theory even Conflicts cannot guarantee you that all
B files will be deleted before/during the unpack of C. Triggers may be run
within the unpack stage, and the files of conflicting packages may be present
during the whole stage (see policy §6.6.2 and §6.6.13). Personally I think
it's a bug in dpkg, but apparently noone cares. To place yourself to a safe
side you will have to rework your packaging somehow. Maybe, place the trigger
script to another package, or double it between packages even so it works at
least one time.

Also, I'd suggest you to write your question to dpkg maintainers also. There
is a possibility I may be wrong in assumptions above or there are some hidden
restrictions for running triggers, that are not mentioned in policy.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer