Re: Can /usr/share/doc/<pkg> be deleted on upgrade ?

Thibaut Paumard wrote:

> I suppose you mean:
> bacula: usr-share-doc-symlink-without-dependency
>
> The idea is to delete the directory in order to replace it by a symlink.
That's the one, thank you.

> In my opinion, it is OK to do that because:

> sysadmins should not do that.
granted, but should a backup program start out by erasing files
unconditionally ? : )

> In essence, there is a provision in the Debian policy so that it's
> harmless for sysadmins to REMOVE files from /usr/share/doc, not to ADD
> files there.
But it's not explicited, one could argue strict logic and add that this
sentence as an encouragement for admins to start customising their doc/.

> Besides, the rm -f is there precisely to remove supplementary files that
> can only be there only if the sysadmin has put them here. So it's a bit
> of a no-go to check whether the directory is empty before you
> force-delete it...
My idea was to move it some place safe, not abort the operation. However
unlikely it is for an operator to store his files in there, I'm still a
little wary of packaging a backup program that can start out by erasing
unmanaged files unconditionally.

--
Lucas B. Cohen

"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
than the question of whether a submarine can swim." - Edgar W. Dijkstra