Re: Can /usr/share/doc/<pkg> be deleted on upgrade ?

Le 26 nov. 09 à 13:38, Lucas B. Cohen a écrit :

Esteemed Debian mentors,

Is it considered acceptable for a package to blindly delete, then
recreate its entire directory under /usr/share/doc upon installation or
upgrade ?
[...]
In worse-case scenarios, these could be illogically interpreted as
explicit permission for a package to rule unilateraly on its doc directory.

It's not illogical, I really think no other package should ever put anything in another package's /usr/doc/share/<pkg>. On the other hand, I think it's best to keep the content of /usr/share/doc/<pkg> static as much as possible. So what's in there is at most what dpkg has unpacked there in the previous version of the package.

I have a use case in which a subdirectory is filled dynamically when related packages are (un)installed, but everything remains under the control of "pkg" (yorick-doc in this case). Only the output, which is documentation, ends-up here. All the "source" files which are used to generate this documentation are somewhere else. In particular, packages which want to add documentation to yorick-doc add a file to / usr/share/yorick-doc (NOT to /usr/share/doc/yorick-doc).

At any rate, yorick-doc remains free to do whatever it wants (whatever I want...) in this directory, and the sysadmin remains free to remove it.

Regards, Thibaut.