Re: Can /usr/share/doc/<pkg> be deleted on upgrade ?

On Qui, 26 Nov 2009, "Lucas B. Cohen" wrote:
Esteemed Debian mentors,

Is it considered acceptable for a package to blindly delete, then
recreate its entire directory under /usr/share/doc upon installation or
upgrade ?

Although I probably will do a conditional backup of such a hypothtical
folder in {pre,post}inst anyhow ("polite" feels like better goal than
"acceptable"), I mostly raise this because it doesn't seem covered in
the FHS, Debian Policy or other maintainer-oriented material I've read.
The most related items I could find were:

- "Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn?t
need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share" (FHS 2.3)

- "The system administrator should be able to delete files in
/usr/share/doc/ without causing any programs to break" (Debian Policy
12.3, footnote 7)"

In worse-case scenarios, these could be illogically interpreted as
explicit permission for a package to rule unilateraly on its doc directory.

Why exactly do you want to do that? What do you want to achieve?

I'm not sure that's allowed, but even if it is, there's probably a better way to do what you want, if you explain us the reasons for doing that.

--
You will think of something funnier than this to add to the fortunes.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br