Re: RFS: rsplib

Dear George,

Thank you for your review of the RSPLIB package for Debian. I have just uploaded an updated version to the mentors server, which fixes the problems found: http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action="">

> I took some time to look at it and found out that lintian (from debian
> unstalbe) complains about the following problems [1]. All of these are easy
> to fix (look at the lintian comments/suggestions), though I'm not quite
> sure why you need to set rpath for your build.
>
> You should also document each change you have made to the package in your
> debian/changelog.
>
> Regardless of that I reviewed that package I don't particularly intend to
> sponsor it, and it is not because the package is bad or I'm evil, but it is
> because I will not be able to take responsibility for it if something goes
> wrong or in case of any issues, since I'm not familiar with RSP internals
> and implementation. So -mentors list wouild be your best bet ;-) I hope you
> will find a sponsor.
>
> [1] lintian -i rsplib_2.6.0-1_i386.changes
> W: rsplib source: timewarp-standards-version (2008-02-15 < 2008-06-04)
> N:
> N: The source package refers to a Standards-Version that was released
> after N: the date of the most recent debian/changelog entry. Perhaps you
> forgot N: to update the timestamp in debian/changelog before building
> the package? N:
> N: Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
> N:
> W: libcpprspserver-dev: extended-description-line-too-long
> N:
> N: One or more lines in the extended part of the "Description:" field
> have N: been found to contain more than 80 characters. For the benefit
> of users N: of 80x25 terminals, it is recommended that the lines do not
> exceed 80 N: characters.
> N:
> N: Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 3.4.1 (The single line
> synopsis) N: for details.
> N:
> N: Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
> N:
> W: libcpprspserver2: extended-description-line-too-long
> W: rsplib-fgp-cfgfiles: extended-description-line-too-long
> W: rsplib-registrar: extended-description-line-too-long
> W: rsplib-services: extended-description-line-too-long
> W: rsplib-services:
> binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/fractalpooluser /usr/lib
> N:
> N: The binary or shared library sets RPATH. This overrides the normal
> N: library search path, possibly interfering with local policy and
> causing N: problems for multilib, among other issues.
> N:
> N: The only time a binary or shared library in a Debian package should
> set N: RPATH is if it is linked to private shared libraries in the same
> N: package. In that case, place those private shared libraries in N:
> /usr/lib/<package>. Libraries used by binaries in other packages should N:
> be placed in /lib or /usr/lib as appropriate, with a proper SONAME, in N:
> which case RPATH is unnecessary.
> N:
> [...]

Best regards
Dr. Thomas Dreibholz

University of Duisburg-Essen, Room ES210
Inst. for Experimental Mathematics Ellernstraße 29
Computer Networking Technology Group D-45326 Essen/Germany
E-Mail: dreibh@iem.uni-due.de
Homepage: http://www.iem.uni-due.de/~dreibh