dh 7 broken by design?

Hi,

I recently tried converting my packages to dh 7 and ... failed.

The simple rule
%:
	dh $@
will fail miserably if there is any file named like a target. Try `touch
build' in your favourite dh-7-package to see it break.

GNU make users probably know that this is why there is a .PHONY: ...
rule. However that one does not work with implicit dependencies and
results in make thinking there is nothing to be done.

Another idea was to supply the -B switch to make:
  -B, --always-make           Unconditionally make all targets.

However `make -Bf ./debian/rules clean' does not seem to work since make
executes `dh ./debian/rules'. I did not find out why.

Any ideas? (And no, removing all files named after targets is a
non-option for the general case.)

I reverted to the "customisation" dh 7 example defining all targets and
.PHONY for now.

Helmut