Re: Can /usr/share/doc/<pkg> be deleted on upgrade ?

On Thu, Nov 26 2009, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 01:38:32PM +0100, Lucas B. Cohen wrote:
>> Is it considered acceptable for a package to blindly delete, then
>> recreate its entire directory under /usr/share/doc upon installation or
>> upgrade ?
>
> I would consider it extremely unacceptable.  Your package can fiddle
> with files it owns, but anything else is Right Out.

        Right. But a package owns the directory
 /usr/share/doc/<package-name>, and other packages should not be dumping
 things in there -- there should be no expectation of any directory
 structure under another packages /usr/share/doc directory surviving.

        Given that, while I consider it odd, and I would want an
 explanation, I don't think other packages have a right to complain
 about it.

        Having sad that, I think this is not something anyone should do;
 there are probably better solutions that can be arrived at.

        manoj
--
"The Computer made me do it."