Can /usr/share/doc/<pkg> be deleted on upgrade ?

Esteemed Debian mentors,

Is it considered acceptable for a package to blindly delete, then
recreate its entire directory under /usr/share/doc upon installation or
upgrade ?

Although I probably will do a conditional backup of such a hypothtical
folder in {pre,post}inst anyhow ("polite" feels like better goal than
"acceptable"), I mostly raise this because it doesn't seem covered in
the FHS, Debian Policy or other maintainer-oriented material I've read.
The most related items I could find were:

- "Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn?t
need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share" (FHS 2.3)

- "The system administrator should be able to delete files in
/usr/share/doc/ without causing any programs to break" (Debian Policy
12.3, footnote 7)"

In worse-case scenarios, these could be illogically interpreted as
explicit permission for a package to rule unilateraly on its doc directory.

Best regards,

--
Lucas B. Cohen

"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
than the question of whether a submarine can swim."
Edgar W. Dijkstra