Re: Taking care of existing packages

Le Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:00:18PM +0200, Sandro Tosi a écrit :
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 05:19, Ben Finney<ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
> >> Any volunteer to file write a well-argumented request for removal […]?
> >
> > The package has now been removed
> > <URL:http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bk2site/news/20090823T163928Z.html>
> > but I can't find any public request for removal. Can we please see that
> > request so the learning-by-example can continue?
>
> it has been removed *from testing*, not from Debian unstable, as
> written in bold on the link you're referring. There is also a link to
> the PTS on the same page that shows this.

Hi all,

The removal is explained indirectly:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bk2site/news/20090823T163928Z.html contains:

Hint: <http://release.debian.org/britney/hints/luk>, which contains:

# done 2009-08-23
# 468646
remove bk2site/1:1.1.9-3.1

which points at:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=468646, which is release-critical.

The maintainer of bk2site has been inactive for more than one year (I just
checked with the mia-query tool). The “echelon” information indicates that he
posted somewhere in May 2009 a message with the ID E1M1BP9-0000eo-2K@junior,
but I did not find anything in our archives, nor in Gmane or Google.

The next step is to doublecheck for signs of activity outside Debian, try to
contact the maintainer again, wait a month, and contact mia@qa.debian.org.

I would argue however that there is not need to wait for a maintainer to be
officially MIA before requesting the removal of a package that is obviously
abandonned.

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#removing-pkgs

Have a nice day,

--