Re: Package uploaded with UNRELEASED distribution.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 02:42:17PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23 2009, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > I had a package rejected out of NEW because of that (same case:
> > UNRELEASED in changelog, Distribution: unstable in .changes). Being
> > curious, I asked ftpmasters why it this was a problem (besides not being
> > very beautiful), but didn't get an answer.
>
> > I think that it's mostly harmless: I can't think of any important part
> > of Debian architecture parsing the changelog to extract that
>
>         Apart from humans.
>
> > information. It probably just doesn't look nice on
> > http://packages.debian.org/.
>
>         It also means that the changelog is not in sync with reality:
>  the changelog   explicitly state that this is an unreleased package,
>  having it end up on my machine without active ihnvolvement of the admin
>  means something went wrong.
>
>         It also means that the package uploader failed to check the
>  changelog before uploading, which might also mean the package may have
>  other issues as well.

Note it is actually very easy to keep an UNRELEASED in a changelog: "dch
-r" doesn't keep its own changes if the file's mtime doesn't change
after the editor is closed. i.e. if you close your editor without saving
the unmodified file, the changelog remains in its previous state. It
happens to me a lot, and I usually only notice when lintian complains.

And now that I look at the corresponding devscripts bug (#422450), I see
there is an option to work around this crappy behaviour.

Mike