Re: RFS: php-xml-util (updated package, 2nd try)

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 05:01:26PM +0200, Federico Gimenez Nieto wrote:
> Ok, I've asked the former maintainer about the changes, he has sent me
> this link [1] about packages wih similar license issues.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=332617

I don't see how it's related, or how it would even solve your problem,
but anyways...

> I've tried to revert the changes to the original upstream license, PHP
> 2.0, and i get the following lintian error:
>
> E: php-xml-util: copyright-refers-to-bad-php-license

That appears to be the problem but just relicensing without upstream's
permission is simply wrong.

> There is a new upstream version with BSD license [2], probably packaging
> it is the best solution, what do you think?

If there is a new upstream version available there is (almost) no need
to upload an older one first. If it solves bugs, even better, and you
can consider your licensing issue as a bug of severity serious.

So, still being no DD I'd recommend packaging the new upstream version.

Hauke