Re: RFS: php-xml-util (updated package, 2nd try)

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:02:16PM +0200, Federico Gimenez Nieto wrote:

> > > The package appears to be lintian clean.
> >
> > No, it's not.
> >
> > W: php-xml-util source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.7.3 (current is 3.8.2)
> >

> My fault, i just pasted the template suggested by the "My packages" area
> at mentors.debian.net without checking it. As you can see at [1], the
> system thinks that the package is lintian clean...
>
> [1]
> http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=php-xml-util

Never rely on a system you don't control. :)

> I'm intending to adopt this package ([2]), those changes was not made by
> me. As stated in the changelog my changes has affected just the control
> file, removing the previous uploader (he asked me to do so), removing a
> lintian warning with ${misc:Depends} and modifying the section to match
> the override stated at [3].

That doesn't release you from the obligation to package as best as
possible.

> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=529694
> [3] http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/php-xml-util.html
>

> What should i do to correct all this?

Well, two possibilites:
1) ask the former maintainer about the license changes,
2) ask upstream about a clarification.

Changing the license of someone else's code is a serious violation of
Debian guidelines and in most states even illegal, unless you have
permission to do so. Your job is do revert the change or get this
permission. If you get the permission I'd recommend a note in
debian/README.source or debian/copyright about it; at best with a link
to the permission or a copy of it.

Hauke

PS: No need to CC me.