Re: RFS: subtitlecomposer (new package, second try)

On Martes, 19 de Mayo de 2009 16:51:05 Charles Plessy escribió:
> Le Tue, May 19, 2009 at 02:02:54AM +0200, José Manuel Santamaría Lema a écrit :
> >
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/subtitlecomposer/subtitlecom
> >poser_0.5.2-1.dsc
>
> Dear José,
>
> Thank you for bringing Subtitle Composer to our users.
>
> I had a quick inspection at your license summary (debian/copyright), and it
> is missing two entries:
>
> ./src/player/mplayer/mediadata.h: * Copyright (C) 2007 Ricardo Villalba
> (rvm@escomposlinux.org) * ./src/widgets/pointingslider.h: *
> Copyright (C) 2007 Ricardo Villalba (rvm@escomposlinux.org) *
> ./src/widgets/attachablewidget.cpp: * Copyright (C) 2006-2008 Ricardo
> Villalba (rvm@escomposlinux.org) * ./src/widgets/pointingslider.cpp: *
> Copyright (C) 2007 Ricardo Villalba (rvm@escomposlinux.org) *
> ./src/widgets/attachablewidget.h: * Copyright (C) 2006-2008 Ricardo
> Villalba (rvm@escomposlinux.org) *
>
> /**************************************************************************
>* * smplayer, GUI front-end for mplayer.
> * * Copyright (C) 2006-2008 Ricardo Villalba (rvm@escomposlinux.org)
> * *
> * * modified for inclusion in Subtitle Composer
> * * Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Sergio Pistone (sergio_pistone@yahoo.com.ar)
> * *
> * * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> * * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> * * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> * * (at your option) any later version.
> * *
> * * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> * * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> * * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
> * * GNU General Public License for more details.
> * *
> * * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> * * along with this program; if not, write to the
> * * Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
> * * Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
> *
>/
>
> While it is under debate whether debian/copyright needs to list all
> copyright holders, I think it would be fair and informative to mention
> these five files (as it in addition conveys information about source code
> duplication).

Done. However, if the future sponsor request me to remove it, I will remove it. I guess sometimes listing all copyright holders might result in a less readable file.

> ./src/player/xine/FindXCB.cmake:# Copyright (c) 2007, Matthias Kretz,
> <kretz@kde.org>
>
> # Copyright (c) 2007, Matthias Kretz, <kretz@kde.org>
> #
> # Redistribution and use is allowed according to the terms of the BSD
> license. # For details see the accompanying COPYING-CMAKE-SCRIPTS file.
>

> For this one, it would require to dig in the KDE sources to see which BSD
> license is used.

Thanks for noticing, usually those FindFoo.cmake files are under cmake/ subdirectory, so I wasn't aware of the existence of this BSD licensed file.
Here is the COPYING-CMAKE-SCRIPTS:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules/COPYING-CMAKE-SCRIPTS?view=log

Afaik, this file is not installed by any kde package, so I've just copied the contents in my debian/copyright. I guess the right thing to do is ask upstream to include this file in subtitlecomposer's .tar.gz for next release, isn't it?

And, by the way, how do you find this file? Inspecting manually the source code?

> I also had a look at your watch file and it seems that it does not use the
> sf.net redirector. The following entry is probably more resilient to mirror
> changes: http://sf.net/subcomposer/subtitlecomposer-(.*)\.tar\.bz2

I guess it might be better to do in the way you suggest. Done.

> Minor detail: in /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer, the upstream changelog is
> duplicated. Also, is the KRAZY file really useful?
>
> aqwa『subtitlecomposer-0.5.2』$ md5sum /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/*
> e2c3392909ac230327dbde5f70c6e4f0 /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/AUTHORS
> f1b7e1469507ac638ed873311163f0ed
> /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/changelog.Debian.gz
> 0232eb261ac99aebbb91429fbc1cfa72
> /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/changelog.gz
> 0232eb261ac99aebbb91429fbc1cfa72
> /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/ChangeLog.gz
> 26b644bd331aae3c5c845132d2696d48 /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/copyright
> 34a70c3dfa2dd102a1336d86035ba138 /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/KRAZY.gz
> b421b16ced22d50074844eb6f66068ff /usr/share/doc/subtitlecomposer/TODO

You are right about the changelog, fixed.

About the KRAZY file, I think it might be useful:
- Pros: This file is generated with krazy2all tool which is not avaliable in debian yet (afaik) and eats lots of CPU and time, so might be useful to have the report (might save time if you want to give it only a quick look).
- Cons: the file could be outdated.

Anyway, it's an upstream decission to provide this report, so I've installed it. Also, I think it does not harm.

> Lastly, can you annotate your patches? Please submit them upstream if they
> do not originate from there, or document that fact in that case. You can
> add relevant URLs in the patch header. In the Debian Med team, we often
> have the following four fields: Author, Description, Forwarded (No +
> reason, or URL if yes), and License (‘Same as Subtitle Composer’ would be
> the best).

It seems good idea, however the License field sounds like overkill (IMHO) because I think always the license for the patch should match with the one for modified files. And, what about a patch which modifies various files with different licenses? IANAL but I think it might cause more problems than it solves.

I've added the author and forwarded information. I was willing to send my patches today, however, the upstream author have released a new version (0.5.3) which solves the issues. so I've uploaded the 0.5.2-1 again following your advices. I'm currently woking on 0.5.3-1 package.

> While I have interest to see this package in Debian, I hope you can find
> somebody more qualified than me for this program. Have you tried to contact
> the KDE team or the debian-multimedia team?

I'm willing to maintain the package inside pkg-kde-extras. I've asked at irc and the right thing to do is RFS before joining the pkg-kde-extras team.

> Have a nice day,
>
> --
> Charles Plessy
> Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan