Re: RFS (resent): libdumbnet

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Jan C. Nordholz <jckn@gmx.net> wrote:

> If you're still willing to sponsor libdnet: upstream is not very active
> (wrt. source changes), but responds quickly.

Review below.

> Upstream location has changed, too.

Argh, there is no indication at the sf.net page that it moved to
google code. Please ask upstream to do a proper migration (close the
webpage, move the code, bugs and so on) and backup and shut down the
sf.net project. At the very least the sf.net project needs to indicate
that it moved elsewhere. Also, the README and probably other files
need updating too.

> If you rebuild before sponsoring, please don't forget to use -v1.8-2. ;)

Uhhh, there should never be an instance of someone sponsoring prebuilt
.deb files, if you see someone doing that, they probably shouldn't be
a Debian developer.

> I've updated the package to use the latest tarball (1.12 from Jan 2007) and corrected all links.[1]
> [1]: http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~hesso/deb/libdumbnet_1.12-1.dsc

Here is a review:

Please ask upstream if they would be willing to rename the library.
Both libdnet and libdumbnet are too generic IMO, but libdumbnet would
be best for Debian to prevent the need for a transition. This would
cause the need for a transition in other distros though so it may not
be a good idea.

You seem to have radically altered the install procedures, why not
install to debian/tmp in the install target and use dh_install like
the current version does instead of manually moving stuff around?

When running autotools in configure, you want to run make
maintainer-clean in the clean target and then clean up any parts it
missed. Also send a patch upstream to fix the maintainer-clean target
if it misses anything.

There are several warnings when running autotools, please file a
bug/patch upstream. Likewise there are a few GCC warnings, python
related and otherwise.

There are several lintian complaints:

$ lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental --pedantic
--show-overrides --checksums --color auto *.changes
I: libdumbnet source: duplicate-short-description libdumbnet1
libdumbnet-dev python-dumbnet
I: libdumbnet source: dpatch-missing-description 01rename_library.sh.dpatch
I: libdumbnet source: dpatch-missing-description
03build_all_python_versions.dpatch
I: libdumbnet1: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/libdumbnet.so.1.0.1
P: libdumbnet1: no-upstream-changelog
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:362
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:372
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:383
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:392
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:401
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:410
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:823
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:838
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man3/dumbnet.3.gz:848
I: libdumbnet-dev: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/dumbnet.8.gz:247
P: python-dumbnet: no-upstream-changelog

As noted above by lintian there is no symbols file for the library.
You can get one for the version in the archive here, please start with
it and add any symbols added by upstream:

http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/mole/seedsymbols/?pkgname=libdumbnet1

I assume you've sent the non-renaming patches upstream?

01rename_library.sh.dpatch refers to sourceforge instead of google.

Who is hesso@pool.math.tu-berlin.de?

libdumbnet1 will probably always be automatically installed, you
probably don't need README/TODO installed in it. Use
debian/<package>.docs files to avoid this.

Likewise, the package descriptions should reflect the audiences.
libdumbnet-dev/python-dumbnet probably needs a fair bit of information
but libdumbnet1 will probably always be automatically installed so
needs vastly less information.

There seems to be a test suite in the upstream source code. Please
enable it and also handle DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck. Also you don't
seem to handle noopt or parallel=n in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS. You also
don't handle cross-compiling, but the version in the archive does. You
should also add -g to CFLAGS so that DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip works.

You run dh_installman but don't install any manual pages using it.

A single autoreconf call can replace the
aclocal/autoheader/autoconf/automake calls (but not the libtoolize one
IIRC).

I assume you've read the libpkg-guide and noted the two bugs filed on it?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise