Re: include desktop file and icon

Peter Pentchev wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 05:49:02PM +0200, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
Paul Wise wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Grammostola Rosea
<rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:

my install file looks like:

phasex-0.11.1/phasex.desktop  usr/share/applications
phasex-0.11.1/pixmaps/* usr/share/pixmaps

Comments, suggestions to solve this?
phasex.desktop  usr/share/applications
pixmaps/* usr/share/pixmaps

thanks

lintian says:
P: phasex source: direct-changes-in-diff-but-no-patch-system misc/phasex.desktop and 1 more

Sigh.  And what does "lintian -i" say about that?  And what
does that actually *mean*?  And do you want to use a patch system?
And if you do, why not use one?  And if there are really good
reasons why you don't want to use a patch system, then you can
ignore this warning - but only after you've come to understand
what it means and why it is there.

And understanding what it means and why it is there is usually -
and in this case, too - as simple as *reading* the output of
"lintian -i", thinking about it a bit, then reading what people
with similar issues have said and done on the -mentors list,
and sometimes examining a couple of packages that are already in
Debian to see how they deal with it.

In this particular case, just reading the additional information
that Lintian displays ought to be enough to understand it :)

Erm... I hope this doesn't seem harsh; it isn't meant to be.
Just a piece of well-meant advice that has helped me deal with
lintian warnings and other packaging problems in the past
year or two :)

Thanks, I understand your point.
But I can't understand all those messages yet and I'm not gonna read hundreds of difficult to read manual pages with at least 200 pages each..

I hope this doesn't seem harsh ;) But in my experience, it works the best at start to ask experienced people and learn bit by bit how things work. At first the manpages are mostly 'acadabra' but picking up some bits from others will help you to be able to quickly understand the more sophisticated issues. In my experience, when people tell me how to do it and I succeeded once, I don't have to ask it again how it works (like the install file thing). After a while I see other people do things different and then I can ask and investigate why...

If you want to read all the different things at start at once, packaging for Debian will cost you a fulltime job and that would in many cases not be good.

I think the help is good on this list. thanks for that. But I don't think 'read the manpages of that, that and that package' is a very productive way to learn things. It's like reading all the manuals for the electric apparatus in your house... you wouldn't have time to work on Debian if you did that...

Kind regards,

\r