Re: include desktop file and icon

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:08:29AM +0200, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 05:49:02PM +0200, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
[snip]
> >> lintian says:
> >> P: phasex source: direct-changes-in-diff-but-no-patch-system
> >> misc/phasex.desktop and 1 more
> >>

> > Sigh.  And what does "lintian -i" say about that?  And what
> > does that actually *mean*?  And do you want to use a patch system?
> > And if you do, why not use one?  And if there are really good
> > reasons why you don't want to use a patch system, then you can
> > ignore this warning - but only after you've come to understand
> > what it means and why it is there.
> >
> > And understanding what it means and why it is there is usually -
> > and in this case, too - as simple as *reading* the output of
> > "lintian -i", thinking about it a bit, then reading what people
> > with similar issues have said and done on the -mentors list,
> > and sometimes examining a couple of packages that are already in
> > Debian to see how they deal with it.
> >
> > In this particular case, just reading the additional information
> > that Lintian displays ought to be enough to understand it :)
> >
> > Erm... I hope this doesn't seem harsh; it isn't meant to be.
> > Just a piece of well-meant advice that has helped me deal with
> > lintian warnings and other packaging problems in the past
> > year or two :)
> >

> Thanks, I understand your point.
> But I can't understand all those messages yet and I'm not gonna read
> hundreds of difficult to read manual pages with at least 200 pages each..
>
> I hope this doesn't seem harsh ;) But in my experience, it works the
> best at start to ask experienced people and learn bit by bit how things
> work. At first the manpages are mostly 'acadabra' but picking up some
> bits from others will help you to be able to quickly understand the more
> sophisticated issues. In my experience, when people tell me how to do it
> and I succeeded once, I don't have to ask it again how it works (like
> the install file thing). After a while I see other people do things
> different and then I can ask and investigate why...
>
> If you want to read all the different things at start at once, packaging
> for Debian will cost you a fulltime job and that would in many cases not
> be good.
>
> I think the help is good on this list. thanks for that. But I don't
> think 'read the manpages of that, that and that package' is a very
> productive way to learn things. It's like reading all the manuals for
> the electric apparatus in your house... you wouldn't have time to work
> on Debian if you did that...

Well...  I think I should rather let others answer that - I'm not
a DD, not applied even to DM yet (though I intend to do both soon),
just a random volunteer who tries to help Debian every once in
a while with a package or fifteen :)  So maybe someone more
authoritative could chime in here and give us an official opinion
if needed :)

Still, I'd just like to point out that none of what you describe
was actually a problem for me a couple of years ago when I started.
(Just for the record, it was not a full-time job back then, and
it isn't now, although the truth is that part of my job *does*
include making Debian packages of in-house software for Etch and Lenny).
I read the Developer's Reference, I examined several packages to
see how things were done, I ran "dh_make" with different options to
see what it did... then I ran it once again and started working on
lintian warnings (and errors, too, in my first packages).  Working
on them was really just "run lintian -i, read what it says, read
the Policy section if one is mentioned, take a look at the manpage
of the dh_* tool in question, change one line be done with it".
Maybe it helped that I started using just plain debhelper from
the start, and first dpatch, then quilt afterwards.  IMHO, debhelper's
manpages are written wonderfully - short, to the point, with plain
and simple descriptions of what the tool does and what files it reads.

And, of course, following the -mentors list helped a lot :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@space.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
What would this sentence be like if pi were 3?