Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:

> Sure, if the package that is building needs those symbols.  But what about
> other packages that *don't* necessarily need those symbols, but get built
> against the newer version of the library anyway?  Those symbols can end up
> in the built binary, but unless dpkg-shlibdeps happens to know that symbols
> have been added, it won't know to version the library dependency and all
> hell breaks loose.
>
> The solution: shlibs files, which list the last package version in which a
> new symbol was added to the library, so that the packaging system can make
> sure that that newer version is available to packages that need the extra
> symbols.

These days, shlibs has been obsoleted by the new symbols files stuff
(which isn't used in libflac++6 AFAICT), so that for each package will
depend on the minimum version of the library that provides all the
symbols required by the package. This rocks, helps allow installing
stuff from testing on stable, eases upgrades and partial upgrades and
helps the release team maintain sanity. I just hope it gets used more
in squeeze.

--
bye,
pabs