Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:51:50 +0100
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> Andy Hawkins <andy@gently.org.uk> (09/12/2008):
> > > Please file a bug about this.
> >
> > Umm, I'll try. I'm not sure exactly what that bug report should say!
> > Kind of new to all this Debian packaging stuff (as of this time last
> > week I knew nothing about it!).
>
> Short version: “Fix your shlibs.”
>
> Slightly longer version: “Remember to bump your shlibs whenever
> symbols get added. Please fix.”
>
> People that maintain libraries should be able to cope with the shorter
> version. If they don't, they probably shouldn't maintain libraries, or
> should be mentored for that particular matter.

Cyril, we've had this discussion before - merely adding symbols does
NOT require a SONAME bump.

Take a look at glib2.0, libgtk+2.0 and libqof1 - symbols are added all
the time and all that is needed is a versioned build-depends and a
versioned runtime shlib dependency.

> In that case, one would be pretty welcome to check one's findings
> against the packages that are actually in the archive. In this
> particular case, as pointed out by Paul, the bug is present in the
> packages shipped by Debian, so let's report it.

I doubt that - merely adding a new symbol is NOT a bug, let alone
release-critical.

--

Neil Williams