Re: RFS: replaceit (#490695)

On Sunday 24 August 2008 00:59:00 Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> > > I will update to 3.8.0, I hadn't changed that from dh_make.
> >
> > I see, lintian is here to warn.
>
> It didn't say anything, is it an optional preference?

You are probably using an older version of lintian. Since your
debian/changelog says you are targeting unstable you should build and lint
your packages on unstable. If you don't have unstable at hand, there is an
easy way to do that on your stable or testing system, and it is to use
cowbuilder tool (from package cowdancer) to prepare (and later update) a
clean chroot system of unstable (sid). See examples of cowbuilder(8), but
basicaly you need:

cowbuilder --create --distribution unstable
cowbuilder --login

then install the build dependencies of your package and you are ready to
perform build/lint/fix/install/deinstall/fix cycles at will. Using a clean
chrooted system also brings the benefit that unsatisfied build depends are
easily caught, and you are sure that your binaries will not link with any
obscure library files laying around you might happen to have locally
installed (in /usr/local for example). This is just for future reference, you
have nothing to fix now in your package with regard to a clean chroot
environment.

> > > As this is my first package I don't yet have a sponsor, and I
> > > understood from the New Maintainers pages that I should already be
> > > involved before applying.
> >
> > You are correct. It is best to be involved before applying. So, correct
> > the standards version and debian revision and I will sponsor.
>
> Excellent, thank you. It is correct now (there were no changed to be made
> to get to standards version 3.8) and is available at
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/replaceit/replaceit_1.0.0-1.2.
>dsc

Probably I wasn't clear enough with my previous message, but I now see that I
wrote "1.0.0-2 or 1.0.0-1 in your debian/changelog". So, in a package version
like A.B.C-X.Y, in the second part (the debian revision)  `.Y' is reserved
for NMU's, so you want a non-NMU version like A.B.C-X or replaceit_1.0.0-2.

Ok, more explanations follows: Why `dch' puts such NMU versions to your
debian/changelog ? Because you have different email address in debian/control
and debian/changelog (or environment). The fix is simple, put your most
recent email from debian/changelog to debian/control, and dch will not
consider you anymore as non-maintainer of that package and won't bring NMU
(-X.Y) versions in your future changelog entries. You can also combine the
last three entries in your debian/chanelog as 1.0.0-2, or just combined them
all in a single 1.0.0-1 entry, at your convinience. Usually I don't prefer
that since that kills history, and these packages are in the wild, but it is
acceptable sometimes.

Why lintian does not complain for incorrect NMU, then ? Because what you have
prepared it is a perfectly valid NMU ;-)

> > > If this is incorrect should I apply for
> > > maintainers status and get into the system first before sending an RFS?
> >
> > Anyone can send an RFS and gets eventually sponsored, but it is always
> > better if they intend to enter NM (New Maintainers) queue, pass it
> > successfully and take responsibility of their packages at some future
> > point.
>
> Perhaps I have just confused myself, but
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-checklist says this:
>
> "For the NM process to be the most efficient, Applicants should have
> already contributed significantly to Debian. This can be done through
> packaging, documentation, Quality Assurance, ..."
>
> which implies to me that I should already have worked on a few packages
> and had them sponsored before applying.

That is correct. Another way to get involved and help Debian as a whole (it is
not mandatory, but very helpful/useful) is to find out a neglected package at
http://bugs.debian.org/wnpp
try to fix some of its bugs or send patches to the BTS (Bug Tracking System)
or simply adopt it.

> If I've just got in a muddle do please correct me :-)

Well, I'm trying to ;-) and yes, rereading messages is very useful, I do that
constantly ;-)

> I really appreciate your help, sorry if these are really newbie
> questions.

Basically, there is nothing to worry about, since -mentors list is for helping
new maintainers. Debian is a very broad plateau, but that shouldn't frighten
the new maintainers of course.