Re: RFS: replaceit (#490695)

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:28:46AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> > > Also, you can use the most recent 3.8.0 standards version, and as I
> > > can see there are no changes needed to the package, but anyway you can
> > > check that with: /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz.
> >
> > I will update to 3.8.0, I hadn't changed that from dh_make.
>
> I see, lintian is here to warn.

It didn't say anything, is it an optional preference?

> > > Sponsoring would be best performed by your Application Manager, but sure
> > > in case s/he is MIA, I will try to review and upload that package for
> > > you. At least it doesn't seem to be beyond my grasp, and I can't promise
> > > I would upload large and complex stuff which I don't personally use and
> > > understand ;-). However, posting to -mentors mailing list is always a
> > > better idea, since you get more peer review.
> >
> > As this is my first package I don't yet have a sponsor, and I
> > understood from the New Maintainers pages that I should already be
> > involved before applying.
>
> You are correct. It is best to be involved before applying. So, correct the
> standards version and debian revision and I will sponsor.

Excellent, thank you. It is correct now (there were no changed to be made to get to standards version 3.8) and is available at
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/replaceit/replaceit_1.0.0-1.2.dsc

> > If this is incorrect should I apply for
> > maintainers status and get into the system first before sending an RFS?
>
> Anyone can send an RFS and gets eventually sponsored, but it is always better
> if they intend to enter NM (New Maintainers) queue, pass it successfully and
> take responsibility of their packages at some future point.

Perhaps I have just confused myself, but
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-checklist says this:

"For the NM process to be the most efficient, Applicants should have
already contributed significantly to Debian. This can be done through
packaging, documentation, Quality Assurance, ..."

which implies to me that I should already have worked on a few packages
and had them sponsored before applying. If I've just got in a muddle
do please correct me :-)

I really appreciate your help, sorry if these are really newbie
questions.

Cheers

--
Jonathan Wiltshire