Re: Prospective package - Redmine #478741

According to the Redmine website it has been released under the GPL v2 license. Also, Ohloh (http://www.ohloh.net/projects/redmine/analyses/latest) breaks down the actual files in the repository like this:

  454 files - GPL v2
   14 files - MIT License
   10 files - LGPL v2.1

I think these all conform to the DFSG and should be safe to package.

Since I am *very* new at packaging Debian software I'm going to go slow and ask for a lot of help. Please be patient with me. :) My next step is to send an ITP message to this list correct? Do I get assigned a mentor or should I just bug everyone? :)

My first big problem is that most of the packaging examples show source code that needs to be compiled. Since Redmine is written in Ruby there is no such thing as a build/make process. It has a couple of Rake tasks but I don't think they are quite the same. Will this be a problem? Should I just take a look at some similar packages (i.e. Bugzilla3 [Perl], Kita2 [Ruby]) and mimic what they are doing?

Thanx!
  Richard

W. van den Akker wrote:
Hello Richard,

I would suggest to read the New Maintainers' Guide
(http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide).
First its important to ensure that Redmine is not conflicting with the Debian
Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). See 2.1 of the DFSG.
If its not conflicting you can send a ITP (Intent To Package) message so that
everyone knows you are working on the package.
After that play and enjoy to create the package.

I hope I havent forget anything. I am also just a beginning package builder.

gr,
Willem