Re: Factorised code for adding a file in /etc/apache2/conf.d/ and restarting apache ?

Hi,

there is no recommended policy or factorised code for this kind of
packages. It would be nice to get consistent behaviour for lenny+1,
though.

On Saturday 05 July 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> After insallation, the package must:
>
>  - Check if apache2 is there,

This is not necessary.

>  - if yes add a link to a configuration file in /etc/apache2/conf.d

You can add that file or the link unconditionally.

>  - restart apache.

A reload should be enough. Don't restart apache if it is not necessary
(as it aborts active connections and may require the admin to enter
ssl key passphrases, etc.).

> (I am also wondering if I have to ask the user wether he agrees to
> restart apache...)

For a restart that would probably be a good idea. It would be nice
though, if the restart was only done when necessary (on new installs
and on upgrades if the config file changed).

For a reload, I don't think you need to ask the user.

> PS: would the DPKG triggers be a good mechanism to deal with this
> apache restarting tasks?

Different packages have different needs WRT to reload/restart. I don't
think a trigger would be appropriate here.

Cheers,
Stefan