Re: List of out-of-date packages on a given architecture.

(Removing CC to debian-mips, as your last mail got the point across).

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:01:55AM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 05/02/2008, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > lam FTBFSing on mipsel due to a gcc bug:
> > http://experimental.ftbfs.de/fetch.php?&pkg=lam&ver=7.1.2-1.1&arch=mipsel&stamp=1202167930&file=log&as=raw
>
> Enjoy 4.3 series... An IMHO interesting test would be trying to get it
> built with 4.2.

While I'd love to, "this is a job for Debian (mips) man!". What I mean
is, someone has to do this on a machine and tell me if this is a
regression (since doko has ruled out the possiblity of GCC 4.2 being
the preferred build toolchain component, we have confirm that it's a
regression).

> > lapack FTBFSing on mips due to a mysterious reason:
> > http://experimental.ftbfs.de/fetch.php?&pkg=lapack&ver=3.1.1-0.2&arch=mips&stamp=1202168381&file=log&as=raw
>
> Maybe killed from outside, not necessarily a compiler error like the
> first one.

Possible, since it doesn't look like this:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=lapack&arch=s390&ver=3.0.20000531a-1.2&stamp=1202005519&file=log&as=raw

That is outright mysterious, though the blame goes on gcc
there. Again, this (according to knowledgeable people) is a gcc
bug. doko is working on fixing it (or working around it temporarily).

> > If I get enough money later in life, I'm definitely buying one of
> > these machines, _just_ for testing out stuff and doing a
> > dput/dupload of packages built on them.
>
> Porter machines could help, anyway. Depending on the architectures,
> there are some of them available (at least for DDs). Some nice people
> even offer access to their architectures to mere contributors (hppa,
> kfreebsd-*, for example).

True. And another thing I wish to place on record is my appreciation
and gratitude to the porters who help keep a mammoth distribution sane
on so many architectures.

> > Would look awesome to stand apart with a mips(el) or s390 upload,
> > when others are doing only source+{i386,amd64}. :-)
>
> You're forgetting powerpc uploads anyway. :p

Accepted; I've seen a few people do that. But an esoteric (from my
POV) architecture would be too cool! :-)

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
458, Jamuna Hostel,