Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> (09/12/2008):
> Adding a new function (or several hundred new functions) has
> absolutely ZERO impact on the SONAME as long as the new functions do
> not overlap existing functions, change existing functions or require
> any changes elsewhere in the library that remove or modify existing
> symbols.

And I said ZERO things about the SONAME, would you please learn to read?

And yes, Gtk people are good at not breaking the ABI. But that has ZERO
things to do with the current topic. Please (re)focus.

> Cyril, we need to sort this out for that RC bug that doesn't exist but
> which you raised the severity - adding a new symbol is NOT a bug, as
> long as it is done properly (as above).

It wasn't in your packaging. Again, shlibs. Again, shlibs!=SONAME. Maybe
you've got a broken strcmp() implementation?

> It is up to the package using the library to build-depend on the right
> version and use a strict dependency on that version or later that
> supercedes the plain dependency.
>
> i.e. exactly what I recommended for this package.
>
> Specify the strict version ahead of shlib:Depends and dpkg-shlibdeps
> does the right thing.

What if you read the Policy? Like e.g. 8.6 (more specifically 8.6.3). I
thought it was a prerequisite for doing Debian stuff.

Mraw,
KiBi.