Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> Cyril, we need to sort this out for that RC bug that doesn't exist but
> which you raised the severity - adding a new symbol is NOT a bug, as
> long as it is done properly (as above).
>
> It is up to the package using the library to build-depend on the right
> version and use a strict dependency on that version or later that
> supercedes the plain dependency.

No, it is up to the library package to declare in it's shlibs file
that packages using it should depend on at minimum the latest version
of the library that added new symbols.

> Specify the strict version ahead of shlib:Depends and dpkg-shlibdeps
> does the right thing.

Thats a hack. Another workaround for broken shlibs is debian/shlibs.local.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise