Re: Listing dependencies with specific versions

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:18:01 +0900
"Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Andy Hawkins <andy@gently.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > New symbols. It specifically has support for embedding images into
> > the FLAC file. This was introduced in 1.2.
>
> Looks like you just found an RC bug in libflac++6 - includes new
> symbols in version 1.2.1-1 according to mole but the shlibs does not
> depend on that version:

That is not a bug - the package building against it merely has to
require that version.

The bug only arises if symbols are removed or function prototypes are
changed in existing symbols.

> http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/mole/seedsymbols/.raw/seedsymbols/libflac++6_i386

Then a new line gets added for a symbol that only occurs in that
version.

> Please file a bug about this.

Please don't - it is not a bug.

If it was, we'd be on libglib.so.7787.0.0 by now.

> Hopefully more libraries will adopt the new dpkg symbols stuff so that
> this can be detected and fixed more often.

The fix is only necessary if the symbol has CHANGED - added symbols can
be managed perfectly well without a SONAME bump.

--

Neil Williams