Re: RFS: wallpaper-tray (updated package)

Hello Gudo,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 16:23, Guido Loupias <guidoloupias@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Sandro,
>
> I'm a little confused about your suggestion with regards to README.source.

sorry about that, I'm attaching a sample file I use in some of my packages, HTH.

> Sandro Tosi schreef:
>>
>> ... and we expect to find in this file the
>> information to "use" the source package that *differs* from the normal
>> way; so, no need to say "use dpkg-source -x .dsc" to obtain the debian
>> package, we know how to do it since it's the normal way to do it. What
>> I expect is something like "we manage to patch the upstream source
>> code with dpatch, take a look at dpatch docs in /usr/share/doc/dpatch
>
> However the policy manual says that "it should include specific commands"[1]
> and that "it should not assume familiarity with any specific Debian
> packaging system or patch management tools."[1]
>
> 1: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-readmesource

Yes, but the information about using dpatch are kept into its doc
directory, so why not refer to the package doc instead of rewrite
another short "HOWTO use dpatch"? If you were using your one custom
patch system (like patches in my_patches/ dir, with name like
"<name>.debpatch" applied running a script apply_patch.sh and so on)
then yes, you would have to write carefully what's the way to apply,
unapply, modify, add and remove patches, but given dpatch is
documented in the package doc dir, let's link to it.

And that file is not meant to be a guide to packaging, so "dpkg-source
-x" and other info are not strictly needed to be there.

I hope this time I was a little bit clearer :)

Regards,