Bug reports in Ubuntu

Dear mentors

I had a quick look in the list archives but couldn't find an answer, so
perhaps you can help.

My adopted package gxemul has a bug in Ubuntu[1] (seg fault on command
line parameters) which reproduces in the current Debian package. It has
been fixed recently in upstream's CVS so I plan to add a patch for the
time being, pending an upstream release.

1) is this the right approach or can you suggest better?
2) should I open a similar Debian bug for this in the normal way, or
just respond to the Ubuntu bug, or some other course of action? If a
seperate bug, should I interact with Ubuntu's at all or leave them to
it?

What's the protocol in this situation?

Thanks

--