Re: [Bulk] Re: Advice about first package building (from sources)

Eric Lavarde - Debian a écrit :
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Al Nikolov said:
>> Laurent Guignard wrote:
>>
>>> I have read the main documentation about pbuilder but i haven't seen if
>>> it is possible to build a package from upstream sources.
>>> In all examples, the command is like "pbuilder build ???.dsc"
>>>
>>> What is the correct method to build a package from upstream sources ?
>>>
>>> I thought to build a virtual host (KVM), install all packages needed,
>>> import all sources (upstream with all files needed to build package) and
>>> run the "dpkg-buildpackage" command...
>>>
>>> All this to keep a clean and stable Debian on my laptop ;)
> I fear the answers you got might have been a bit confusing, but it's also
> because it's not clear what you mean with keeping a clean and stable
> Debian: only install packaged software (nothing by hand), or really not do
> anything "out of the normal" (e.g. compiling and packaging) on your
> laptop, or both.
>
> I'm kind of a "both" guy, so:
> - I created an unstable CHROOT jail with debootstrap and do all my
> packaging in there (as suggested by Neil). For this purpose, KVM, Xen or
> any VM is as good, but more heavyweight.
> - I check that my packages build correctly with pbuilder (and pbuilder is
> really only meant for this).
> - Neither pbuilder nor debootstrap will help you to learn Debian
> packaging, hence the advice from Al to read
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
>
> Hope this helps, Eric
>
> PS: I directed my answer back to you because it was not clear if you are
> subscribed to Mentors.

Thanks for all your answers.

I'll build a chroot environment with deboostrap with "unstable".
I'll have to build the new libnet1 package of David Paleino from all
files he upload on mentors.debian.net (with Debian unstable dependencies).
After, I'll can build my package from source.

It seems to be the better solution...

My words "clean" and "stable" means that I have a Debian stable and i
doesn't want to upgrade to testing or unstable, so i need a specific
environment to build package.

Thanks again.

- --
Laurent Guignard, Registered as user #301590 with the Linux Counter
Site : http://www.famille-guignard.org
Blog : http://blog.famille-guignard.org
Projet : http://sicontact.sourceforge.net
GULL de Villefranche sur Saône : http://www.cagull.org