Re: dbconfig-common

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 01:00 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
>>> dbconfig-common is documented fairly well.
>> I do not agree with this statement. There are dark areas in the doc,
>> particularly nowhere, it's telling how to get a root user on MySQL, and
>> some packages might need it.
>
> Why would you need a root user?
>
> Richard

Why do you think no app would need it? How about something that does
mysql backups, or manages MySQL accounts? I have made 2 packages that
needs that, one of them being automysqlbackup, and I had to do hackish
stuff like this:

USERNAME=`grep user /etc/mysql/debian.cnf | tail -n 1 | cut -d"=" -f2 |
awk '{print $1}'`

PASSWORD=`grep password /etc/mysql/debian.cnf | tail -n 1 | cut -d"="
-f2 | awk '{print $1}'`

I would have happily avoid it!

Thomas