Re: Advice about first package building (from sources)

Laurent Guignard wrote:

> I have read the main documentation about pbuilder but i haven't seen if
> it is possible to build a package from upstream sources.
> In all examples, the command is like "pbuilder build ???.dsc"
>
> What is the correct method to build a package from upstream sources ?
>
> I thought to build a virtual host (KVM), install all packages needed,
> import all sources (upstream with all files needed to build package) and
> run the "dpkg-buildpackage" command...
>
> All this to keep a clean and stable Debian on my laptop ;)
>
> Is there another method and where can i found documentation ?

You do not need pbuilder for your purposes, not even chroots. What you need
is to *create* Debian source package using upstream sources. Read more at
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

Then, you could build and install the binary package you wanted in your own
clean and stable Debian environment. After that, you can safely remove all
build dependencies.