Re: ftp-masters

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 01:07, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> Because it doesn't add any information for the end users,
>
> Sure it does. It tells end users what was changed in between the
> REJECT and the new upload. Eliding this means that it's no longer
> possible to trivially tell what was changed between uploads.[1]

But does really an end user knows/cares about it? You are talkink from
a developer POV, that's a little bit low-level than most of our users.

>> if not confusion: it seems that 2 different version reached the
>> archive, since the users will see 2 different entries in the
>> changelog (for example using apt-listchanges) when indeed there is
>> only 1 package uploaded after the one previou in the archive.
>
> There were two uploaded, not just one. Furthermore, it doesn't matter
> how many have reached the archive when a user is examining changelogs.
> All you care about is the version that you have, the version that
> you're upgrading to, and any previous versions you had installed. None
> of those necessarily correlate with versions that are actually in the
> archive.

mh, so the latest changelog entry should report why the previous
upload was REJECTED, and what was done to fix it.

>> Ah, did I forgot to remember that "Our priorities are our users and
>> free software"?
>
> Obviously, which is why you should do what I suggested.
>
> You shouldn't treat changelogs of packages which happen to stop off at
> NEW any differently, even if they get REJECTed.

I suggest this only because a REJECTED package is a sort of
half-release, and you still need to rework (hopefully a bit) the
previous changes: you rework the previous upload (that you think it
was right) to meet our standards.

Of course, this is just what I *feel* is correct, since no ufficial
doc is available for this.

Cheers,
Sandro

> 1: Furthermore, you really should be tagging your uploads with the
> release that you uploaded to Debian with in your VCS. You are doing
> that, right?

Of course, but I can retag ;)