Re: ftp-masters

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Because it doesn't add any information for the end users,

Sure it does. It tells end users what was changed in between the
REJECT and the new upload. Eliding this means that it's no longer
possible to trivially tell what was changed between uploads.[1]

> if not confusion: it seems that 2 different version reached the
> archive, since the users will see 2 different entries in the
> changelog (for example using apt-listchanges) when indeed there is
> only 1 package uploaded after the one previou in the archive.

There were two uploaded, not just one. Furthermore, it doesn't matter
how many have reached the archive when a user is examining changelogs.
All you care about is the version that you have, the version that
you're upgrading to, and any previous versions you had installed. None
of those necessarily correlate with versions that are actually in the
archive.

> Ah, did I forgot to remember that "Our priorities are our users and
> free software"?

Obviously, which is why you should do what I suggested.

You shouldn't treat changelogs of packages which happen to stop off at
NEW any differently, even if they get REJECTed.

Don Armstrong

1: Furthermore, you really should be tagging your uploads with the
release that you uploaded to Debian with in your VCS. You are doing
that, right?
--
NASCAR is a Yankee conspiracy to keep you all placated so the South
won't rise again.