Re: ftp-masters

"Sandro Tosi" <matrixhasu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 15:11, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > [T]here's no good reason I can see to re-use a release number
> > after it's uploaded.
>
> Because it never reach the archive, so it's better to keep the same
> version for a REJECTED package

Why is it better? What benefit does it bring to retain the same
version string, including release number, for two different packages
that have both been uploaded by the maintainer?

> jumping revision is useless.

It's useful because it clearly distinguishes two different package
uploads by the maintainer. By definition, they are at least different
enough that one was REJECTED and the later one hopes not to meet the
same fate.

That keeps discussions about which one is which easy, and it even
makes it trivial to distinguish in the package changelog, by
separating the two releases and describing what was done for the later
one to make it different.

That's a tangible benefit, not "useless". What is the benefit in not
doing that?

--
 \         “My girlfriend has a queen sized bed; I have a court jester |
  `\   sized bed. It's red and green and has bells on it, and the ends |