Re: RFS: vbackup

On Tuesday 29 July 2008, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Stefanos Harhalakis <v13@v13.gr> [2008.07.28.1250 +0200]:
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/v/vbackup/vbackup_0.1.6pre1-1.
> >dsc
> debian/control:
>   Build-Depends-Indep: autotools-dev
>     I don't like if packages configure themselves during build. If
>     you want me to sponsor, then please provide a proper tarball
>     with a configure script that doesn't need to be rebuilt; then
>     drop the build-dep.
>
>   remove /^Depends:[[:space:]]*/

That was a mistake. Removed the Build-Depends-Indep and also removed the
Depends line.

>   I would appreciate a short note about how this compares to other
>   methods, like backupninja.

Include a comparison of vbackup with other software in the package
description? Somehow I don't find this right. I believe that it is a moving
target that may imply false things regarding other packages at some point in
the future if not updated correctly.

>   Also: the short description ("A modular backup utility") is
>   repeated in the long description; just delete the first sentence
>   and s/It/vbackup/.
>
>   What does *v* stand for?

Nothing related to backup. At first it was named sbackup (simple backup) but
since that name was already used I changed it to vbackup (a letter from my
nick). Does this play any role in debian packaging?

> debian/copyright:
>   Are you sure you want "either version 2 of the License, or (at
>   your option) any later version."? I personally don't support GPLv3
>   and thus limit all my GPL software to v2.

Well, in fact, that was an error and thank you for mentioning it. vbackup is
unter GPLv3 since I really don't want to ever accept any patches that include
patented code. Can you provide me with more information regarding the reasons
you dislike GPLv3? Perhaps there are things that I should be aware of but I'm
not.

> debian/rules:
>   It says:
>     # Sample debian/rules that uses debhelper.
>   but it's not.
>
>   Please also remove extraneous comments.

Done.

> Finally, lintian says:
>
> W: vbackup: doc-base-unknown-section vbackup:6 admin
>
> you should always make sure lintian produces no warnings and/or
> errors before asking for sponsorship.

I'm using lintian v1.24.2 and there is no such warning:

$ lintian -i vbackup_0.1.6pre1-1.dsc  && echo OK
OK

mentors.debian.net's web interface also says that there are no lintian
warnings:

Section: admin
Lintian warnings: none
Lintian errors: none

Am I missing something here?

I've not uploaded the corrected version to mentors.deiban.net since there may
be other changes too. I've also added more features to the development
version of vbackup and a proper man page. I will make them available as a
newer version when all debian packaging issues are solved.