Re: RFS: vbackup

also sprach Stefanos Harhalakis <v13@v13.gr> [2008.07.28.1250 +0200]:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/v/vbackup/vbackup_0.1.6pre1-1.dsc
>
> As I mentioned in the original e-mail, my svn repository will be
> down for (most probably) the next week, so I won't be able to
> release a proper version (tagged in svn and with a changelog file)
> until it is back. I'll also be afk for the first 2 weeks of
> August. Should we postpone it until then? Are there other things
> that need to be worked?

debian/control:
  Build-Depends-Indep: autotools-dev
    I don't like if packages configure themselves during build. If
    you want me to sponsor, then please provide a proper tarball
    with a configure script that doesn't need to be rebuilt; then
    drop the build-dep.

  remove /^Depends:[[:space:]]*/

  I would appreciate a short note about how this compares to other
  methods, like backupninja.

  Also: the short description ("A modular backup utility") is
  repeated in the long description; just delete the first sentence
  and s/It/vbackup/.

  What does *v* stand for?

debian/copyright:
  Are you sure you want "either version 2 of the License, or (at
  your option) any later version."? I personally don't support GPLv3
  and thus limit all my GPL software to v2.

debian/rules:
  It says:
    # Sample debian/rules that uses debhelper.
  but it's not.

  Please also remove extraneous comments.

Finally, lintian says:

W: vbackup: doc-base-unknown-section vbackup:6 admin

you should always make sure lintian produces no warnings and/or
errors before asking for sponsorship.

> Also, should I change the status of it in sponsors and mentors
> sites? Is this procedure repeated for every released version?

Usually you get a sponsor and then work with her/him. I am not ready
to say that I will take on sponsorship because I'd need to be using
vbackup for that to happen, and I have not looked at it yet.

"toleranz heißt, die fehler der anderen entschuldigen.
 takt heißt, sie nicht bemerken."
                                                -- arthur schnitzler